Tuesday, January 14, 2020

3 Fitness Tips for the New Year

By Daniel Jauregui

I’ve never liked the idea of New Year’s Resolutions. If you wanted to commit to doing something, you probably wouldn’t wait until the first of January to get started. Nevertheless, everyone seems to be more willing to try to develop good habits at this time of year. So with that said, here are 3 tips to help make 2020 a better and healthier year for you.

1. Start training at least 3 times a week.
Several of you are already doing this, so great work! But if you’re training fewer than 3 times a week, it's likely you’re not reaping all the benefits of exercise. These include (but are not limited to) improved body composition, higher metabolism, improved hormonal profile, reduced risk of heart disease, more strength, better cardiovascular endurance, and the list goes on. If you’re only spending 1-2 days a week exercising, the lack of frequency can slow or potentially stall performance progress you’re trying to make. In 2020, work to increase your overall physical activity, and start setting aside a minimum of 3 days for training every week. If you’re already doing that, try to set aside 4 or 5.

2. Set some realistic performance goals for yourself.
Many people measure the efficacy of their workouts with things like how hard it felt or how sweaty they got or how sore they were the next day. In my experience, none of these are all that useful. The only measure of an effective workout is whether or not it actually contributed to getting you better at something. What that something is is ultimately up to you. In BHIP, we’re constantly trying to improve your capabilities across different modalities, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have your own individual focus. Whether you want to improve your number of push-ups, increase your deadlift, or run a mile faster, you can always get better. Having a goal will also help to focus your training. Rather than going through the motions and trudging along, you will have a purpose that you’re training for. The key is to make your goals performance oriented. Stop worrying about how much you’re sweating and start trying to improve what you can do. If you’re not sure how, we’re here to offer suggestions!

Image result for thumbs up kid gif

3. Improve the quality of your recovery.
In 2019, probably for the first time in my life, I found I wasn’t recovering enough from my training. My knees became constantly achy, body fatigued and weak, and nagging pains plagued much of the exercise I did. There were several things contributing to this, but what it boiled down to was the very low effort I put into my recovery. I wasn’t making time for stretching or foam rolling, wasn’t sleeping enough, and was pretty much eating what was convenient. I’ve seen patterns like this one repeat themselves in many BHIPers and other clients I work with. Anyone that neglects recovery, regardless of age or capability, will eventually get to a point where injuries and irritations easily develop. If you’re training regularly, then as much time as possible should be spent focusing on what you can do to continue performing well. It is during this recovery time that growth and progress actually occurs. Exercise is the stress that breaks your body down, but recovery is what allows your body create adaptations that improve your fitness. This includes stretching/foam rolling to reduce the tension and inflammation surrounding your muscles and tendons. It also includes getting the optimal amount of sleep, which most research seems to indicate is between 7-9 hours for the average person.

Doing all of these things may not always be convenient, but progress has never been easy. Comment below with any questions or other habits you’re hoping to develop in 2020.

20 comments:

  1. I am hoping to do go to BHIP 4-5 times a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. humann superbeets soft chews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biofit Biofit is a weight-loss support dietary supplement – as you may have known. A study told me that millions of people fail (every year) to get the weight loss results from their diets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dentitox Dentitox is a liquid dental care supplement that is directly applied to the affected teeth, gums (around the affected area of your mouth). A few drops of it might be enough to remove all the gums and teeth problems that must be applied every day for wellbeing differences. Its liquid form is very easy to observe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much appreciated such a great amount for this data. I need to tell you I agree on a few of the focuses you make here and others might require some further survey, however I can see your perspective. Fat Disruptor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very captivating on the web diary. A ton of web diaries I see these days don't for the most part give whatever I'm enthused about, anyway I'm without a doubt propelled by this one. As of late felt that I would post and tell you. เว็บพนันออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet!  hire a hacker online

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm constantly searching on the internet for posts that will help me. Too much is clearly to learn about this. I believe you created good quality items in Functions also. Keep working, congrats! natural products

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. Sport Tank Top supplier

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Exipure weight loss reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really trusted you would most likely have something valuable to state. All I hear is a lot of whimpering about something that you can fix on the off chance that you were not very bustling searching for consideration. All things considered, I realize it was my decision to peruse.. 羅氏鮮哪裡買

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. Become a Payment Service Provider

    ReplyDelete
  13. I personally like your post; you have shared good insights and experiences. Keep it up. become a credit card processor

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might want to thank you for the endeavors you have made in composing this article. I am trusting the same best work from you later on too..  foot massage in pregnancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredibly obliging post. This is my first time I visit here. I found such a broad number of enthralling stuff in your blog particularly its exchange. Really its extraordinary article. Keep it up. Starting a Credit Card Processing Company

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our credit fix administrations work to fix past credit errors and confirm credit report precision. Converse with a credit fix master today! Selling Credit Card Processing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete